Well, folks, I’ve reached a pretty neat milestone; this is my 100th post! I’ve been trying to think about what to write, as I consider the number 100 to be pretty symbolic, and I’m big on symbolism and celebrations. Posts 1-99 and 101-199 were and can be used for platforms for my various experiences, opinions and rants, so I thought I would do something different for this momentous occasion. Unfortunately, the only time I encounter the number 100 is when I’m rolling pennies with my mother (SO sad on several accounts! ;)), so I had to do some reading and research around the Net in order to dig up some interesting/cool facts. So, sit back and enjoy; I wish I could keep this post to 100 words, but that will never happen!
- in the year 100, the wheelbarrow made its first appearance in China (and, I can attest from my trip there in 2006, is still being used today!)
- it is the sum of the first ten odd numbers (1+3+5+7+9+11+13+17+19+21=100)
- the minimum number of yards for a Par 3 hole in golf
- a “Googol” is the number 1 followed by 100 zeros
- the very first song on the Billboard Hot 100 was “Poor Little Fool” by Ricky Nelson on August 4, 1958
- In Belgium, 100 is the ambulance and firefighter telephone number
- Take this quiz to see what 100 calories looks like!
- an estimated 75% of Canadians live within 100 miles of the US border
- as of September 2010, Japan had approximately 44,449 centenarians (people living to the age of 100); the most in the world
- 100 years ago, in 1911:
- – the first International Women’s Day was observed
- – the theft of the Mona Lisa was discovered in the Louvre
- – Roald Amundsen’s expedition reached the South Pole
- – Ronald Reagan was born on 06 February
- – L. Ron Hubbard, American science fiction author and founder of Scientology, was born on 13 March
- – Lucille Ball was born on 06 August
- 1.1 billion people worldwide live on less than 100 cents ($1) a day
Thanks so much to all the readers who have been here from day one, and to those who have “found” me through links, searches, message boards or just pure luck ;). As always, I invite comments and suggestions; if you have a “100” fact that you would like to see on the list, please let me know!